Tuesday 6 November 2012

Not a Real Ironman


“You’re not a real Ironman unless you’ve gone under 12 hours”


I’ve heard and read this on numerous occasions over the years. I did my first IM in 2007 at Sherbourne. Afterwards I spent 3 hours in the medical tent being attended to by a nurse and two masseurs who tried valiantly to stop every muscle in both legs from locking up in cramp if I so much as moved my big toe. I missed seeing my wife finish her first IM because of this and then later she had to drive me back to the hotel (after I was driven off the Sherbourne Castle grounds in an ambulance). I managed half a glass of the bottle of celebratory champagne we’d arranged to be waiting in our room for when we got back before crashing completely. It was 4 days before I could walk properly again. I left it all on the course that day and definitely considered myself an Ironman. My finishing time was 12:30. When someone made that comment above on the TriTalk Forum it hurt more than I cared to admit.

But it spurred me on. Next time I would go under 12 hours.

That next time was IM Austria in 2008. I thought I was in shape for a sub-11:30 but finished in 11:46. I don’t think I overestimated my own abilities when aiming for the 11:30 milestone, I’m sure I was physically fit enough but nutrition issues let me down that day, something I didn’t pay enough attention to on the bike really cost me on the run. Lesson learned. But at least this time I was there to see Rach finish an Ironman which was fantastic and was also progress!

My next Iron Distance race was the Forestman in 2010. I wanted to go sub-12 in this race, not because I wasn’t as fit as I was for IMA, but because the course was much tougher. It was a brutally hot day also, but I got my nutrition issues sorted and finally was able to run without the usual stomach cramps every time I took on food or drink. I finished in 11:50, which sounds a modest time but was good enough to win my age group. For the first time I could enjoy a beer and some food after an Iron distance event and soak up the atmosphere at the finishing line. I finally felt like I was starting to get the measure of this distance.

Then a few days later I was browsing the Slowtwitch forum and read the following gem:
“You’re not a real Ironman unless you’ve gone under 11 hours”

This time it really didn’t bother me at all to be honest because I knew it was a load of bollocks written by an extremely ignorant poster. I had 3 Iron distance results under my belt by then (and also a Double Iron distance race) and I knew I’d put the same effort into all the races, the only variable being the speed I was going for that effort.

But still, I like a challenge and set a sub-11 as my next milestone. I achieved this at The Outlaw in 2011 with just 40 seconds to spare and then again this year with 17 minutes in hand.

I’d like to think I’m capable of going sub-10 at some time in the future. I’m realistic enough to know it will take a combination of me having an exceptional race on a quick course in perfect conditions to do it but it’s something I’d love to achieve. Because as we all know, you’re not a real Ironman unless you’ve gone under 10 hours. ;-D

4 comments:

  1. I might as well stop training now as I'm not going under 12 let alone 11 and we'll just ignore 10 right there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The point I was trying to get across was that a 16:59 finisher is every bit as much an Ironman as a sub-10 finisher. At the end of the day everyone covers the same distance and most will give it their best effort.

      Delete
  2. Outlaw doesn't count. Not an Ironman. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outlaw is more an Ironman than most Ironman races when you take the official distances into consideration! ;)

      Delete