Wednesday 5 December 2012

The Missed Session


A missed session will decrease fitness by 12.5%.

A missed session increases the risk of accelerated fat accumulation by 342% over the subsequent 24 hours.

A missed session will scupper any chance of achieving goals.

Although I know the above statements are rubbish, I can’t help but think them every time I miss a scheduled training session.  The very word “scheduled” is also part of the problem for those of us with a slight OCD leaning. If it’s there in black and white without a tick against it, it will play on our minds until we go and sort it out. This usually means catching the session up later in the week, thereby compromising other scheduled workouts which get done at a less-than-optimal intensity.

Sometimes it just doesn’t matter. It really doesn’t.

This is something I have struggled to realise in the past. I get quite tunnel-visioned when it comes to goals and what it takes to achieve them. I tend to put these things first in the priority queue and fit everything else around them. Even realising this in myself doesn’t change the fact that I’ll continue doing it to some extent, it’s the way I’ve always been and habits of a lifetime are often difficult to change.

Life, however, has a habit of opening your eyes to what’s truly important. Over the weekend, we lost a much loved member of our family. The clarity of what really matters hit me like a tonne of bricks. Family and loved ones matter. They are top of the pile and all else should fit in around them, not vice-versa.

Life is too short and too precious. By all means, I intend on keeping fit and healthy and pursuing my sporting ambitions to the best of my ability. But I shall not be doing it at the expense of the things that really matter. If this means missing sessions here and there, then so be it.

Rest in peace Malc, a true man’s man and a joy to have as a father in law.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for yours, Rach's, and your family's loss Steve. It's poignant that it takes something so sad and terrible to make us realise just what is important in life. It helps us fully understand the path we presently need to take in order to eliminate regret from our future. I faced a similar situation about 18 months ago and took the throttle right off. I stopped being obesessed with training and results. I can't say I'm thrilled about being an hour slower but I wouldn't swap the time I've been able to spend with my family for anything. Nothing should compromise that. However, I reckon your dad in law wouldn't want you to throttle back *that* much, and I reckon wherever he is, he'll be rooting for you in your future events, and will be right by your side in Kona. Don't give up the dream - go make him proud x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Commiserations on your, and Rachael's loss. I know that replies on a blog aren't the most traditional means of conveying empathy, but my thoughts are with you both

    Don't get hung up on the schedule (says he with a training plan mapped out until next september).

    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

    ReplyDelete